Sunday, March 8, 2009

My first 3/4 mile.


I am really excited. I am extremely lazy and don't like to exercise. In addition, it is so hard to exercise feeling so tired after work. I have one excuse after another not to do it.

It is beautiful here today in Georgia. The sun is shining and the breeze is blowing making it perfect day for a walk. After I got home from church, I straightened up the house and put the leashes on the girls and drove to a local walking trail I had heard about.

The trail is located behind the local hospital and it has two trails, 1/2 mile and 1 mile trails. It winds together so you actually can get more than 1/2 mile if you don't feel adventurous enough to tackle the 1 mile. It winds around a nice little lake with a fountain in the middle. There are benches placed throughout the walk and the trails are well maintained with some slight inclines. There is also an emergency button in the middle of the walk.

I started with the 1/2 mile walk, but toward the middle of the walk, the 1 mile circled around the lake, so I finished with the 1 mile. I figure I walked about 3/4 of a mile. I rested a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed the walk. Even with the pain in my lower back, I feel like I could do it again. I even got my heart rate up slightly with the inclines and trying to walk a bit faster than normal. For a beginning walk, I am excited. It was do-able and I feel like I could do it again! Only next time, I plan to try to get my husband to tag along.

The big plus is that after the walk, I checked my blood glucose and it was 87!

Just one step and the adventure begins.

Here's wishing you joy in the journey! ~Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment