Sunday, February 22, 2009

Acceptance and Self Worth


I have always felt comfortable in my skin. I have never had a problem with the way I look as a big beautiful woman. I have never had people make fun of me or belittle me, except the teens in Taco Bell who mooed at me. I just patted my behind (meaning kiss it!) and went on my way. The only reason I have a problem with my weight now is because of health issues. But I think it is time for the big beautiful woman to be celebrated!

I love it when I look at a magazine and find a plus size model in an ad. I get excited, because someone is giving a little attention to the big beautiful woman.

Then I get offended because my husband is watching "COPS" and some idiot I wouldn't be caught dead with is high and telling the cops arresting him that he needs a good woman. "Even a fat woman." He says, like we aren't worth having.

A lot of people need a dose of the "Shallow Hal" syndrome. Where their outer appearance matches their inner soul. In the movie, "Hal" fell in love with a big beautiful woman, but he couldn't see what she really looked like. He could only see a thin beautiful woman, the reflection of her soul. Some of the skinny beauties in the movie were ugly, because that is how they were inside.

Why can't people see your inner beauty? I feel fortunate because I can see past a person's looks. If you think you are a stud and you wouldn't stoop to the "fat girl", you only look pathetic. And you are missing out on wonderful women.

Today, I ran across an interesting website http://www.bfdblog.com/. The first article is about a magazine cover in London. The cover is a big beautiful woman nearly nude. While I guess you would call me a prude, I did wish there was a little less nudity. I agree that it is about time we celebrate the fuller figure woman. While it shows much more skin than I would have liked to have seen, so do a lot of other covers of thin women. Demi Moore and Jennifer Anniston to name a few. I really have mixed emotions about this cover. ("Yeah! Way to go BBW!" & then, "Geesh put on a two-piece!")

While it shows waayyy too much, it echos an earlier age when Virginia Slims said: "You've come a long way baby." And look where that has gotten us. I think we have gone too far as a society in placing nude stars on magazine covers (Fat or thin). But...maybe it is a move toward acceptance of the "fat girl" in society and that's where we need to be. Accepted...but at what cost?

So, let's push for acceptance, but let's not let it cost us our self-worth.

To each his own. Get healthy and enjoy yourself in the journey! ~Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment