Friday, March 6, 2009

Fireproof the Movie

Although this is a little off the topic of weight loss, I wanted to write about other things in my life.

My husband, Jamie, went to visit his family in February and watched the movie, Fireproof. He came home a changed man. Our entire marriage has been hard. He was raised hard and his family life was borderline, if not full out abusive. Hitting, screaming, fighting, negativity and tearing down self-esteem was the norm in his family life. So, our marriage has been less than happy most of the time. Until Fireproof, the movie.

Everything I had struggled to tell him over the years, he finally gets, by just watching one movie...and maybe a change of my attitude. I have always been forgiving and understanding until recently. I don't know if it is because I am getting older and less tolerant or what, but I have not been as forgiving. Sorry-not.

So...associated with this movie is a book called the "Love Dare" book. He wanted it, so I bought it and we are doing the "Love Dare". First day we were not supposed to say anything negative-no matter what. Second day, in addition to not saying anything negative, we are supposed to do one act of kindness for our spouse.

Well in the midst of all this work on our marriage, our 18 year old is giving us terrible problems. Jamie makes the statement that Satan works hard to tear families apart. Oh my!!!! He finally gets it.

So, as we were traveling home from work on the day we were supposed to do an act of kindness for each other, I tell him that I had been thinking about what act of kindness I wanted to do. He interrupted me and said: "The greatest act of kindness you have ever done is when you married me." With tears filling my eyes, I realize that an eternal family may not be as out of reach as I thought.

July 8, 2009 update. "Wow. When I wrote this, I didn't know how close we really were to the possibility of an eternal family."

Happiness in the journey! ~Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment